Customizable VAD Power & Control Technology
Minnetronix Medical offers market-leading expertise in developing customized power and control technology for ventricular assist devices (VADs), from today’s percutaneous systems to future fully implantable solutions.
The growing patient population with advanced heart failure – and the limited number of donor organs – has stimulated the use of ventricular assist devices, or VADs. However, postoperative management of VADs and their support systems can be challenging and costly.
For more than 20 years, Minnetronix Medical has been working on improving the quality of life for VAD patients through next-generation VAD development. Founded by former 3M engineers in January 1996, the company’s cornerstone project was the development of a software and electronics controller for an electric-motor-driven artificial heart (ETAH). This federally funded program was a joint effort between 3M Cardiovascular Systems Division, Penn State University, and Minnetronix Medical, and it helped lay the groundwork for Minnetronix Medical’s technology direction and rapid business growth.
From these early days, Minnetronix Medical has continued its work in power and control for mechanical circulatory support systems. We have worked with numerous established companies, start-ups, and researchers on technologies including:
- Rotary Pump Platforms
- Heart Lung Machines
- Sensor and Sensorless Motor Control
- Physiologic Response Systems
- Flow and Negative Pressure Estimation
- Wireless Telemetry
- Transcutaneous Energy Transfer
Learn more about Minnetronix’ technologies for mechanical circulatory support systems
How Minnetronix Medical Adds Value
No matter where you are in your pump development process, Minnetronix Medical has the technology and expertise to help get you to market as quickly as possible.
- Minnetronix Medical has more VAD power and control experience than any other industry partner.
- To date, the company has completed 24 VAD-related programs for 14 customers, including the design, development and current commercial-scale production of a PMA-approved VAD system.
- With more than 20 years of experience, we have successfully tackled many technical challenges including motor control efficiency, power management, energy transmission, control feedback, and live battery exchange.
- Minnetronix Medical VAD technology can decrease your development risks and increase your ability to realize your vision faster, for lower overall cost.
Improved Patient Usability
- Our patient-centric designs include features that maximize patient usability and quality of life by minimizing complications, extending battery life, and improving patient comfort.
Clear Path to Market
Minnetronix Medical has created an IP portfolio to enable a clear path to market through a very complex IP landscape. Our portfolio includes patents that cover areas including:
- Integrated external controller with an easy-to-use replaceable battery
- Integrated back-up battery
- Efficient field-oriented motor control
- Graphical user interface
- Transcutaneous energy transmission method
- Communications via a wireless power channel
Our broad IP can be applied across a range of applications for VAD power and control solutions.
Minnetronix Medical Percutaneous VAD Power and Control configuration
Minnetronix Medical Transcutaneous Energy Transmission Technology